Prototyping with Injection Moulding
Prototypes are important in the development process of plastic injection moulded components, saving time and money by helping detect design flaws and other issues in the design phase. With over 50 years of experience in providing injection moulding prototypes, PMI will work with you to develop injection moulding prototypes that will work successfully for your project.
Plastic injection moulding prototypes can be produced quickly to meet the demands of tight development time lines. Prototypes can also be painted and decorated to appear much like the final product for marketing use prior to availability of production parts.
Why Use a Prototyping Tool?
- Receive interactive design for manufacturability feedback with every quote to make early adjustments before prototyping begins.
- Talk with applications engineers to discuss any design challenges and manufacturing questions that arise.
- Have physical prototypes in hand within days to quickly modify designs during early product development.
- Produce multiple prototypes at the same time to compare and iterate designs simultaneously.
- Reduce overall time to market with an iterative product development cycle.
- Test the form and fit of components with small quantities of moulded parts.
- Perform functional test with prototypes manufactured in production-grade materials.
- Full library of online design resources including guidelines, tips, white papers, and videos.
- Produce a pilot run injection-moulded parts to validate market interest before launch.
- Reduce financial risk at market launch by implementing affordable aluminum tooling before full-scale production begins.
Prototype moulds can be used for low volume plastic injection moulding production. EVCO Plastics injection moulding prototype mould capabilities include:
- Quick lead time tooling/rapid prototypes
- One cavity pull up in a multi-cavity base
- Master Unit Die (MUD) Inserts
- Single cavity to multi cavity
- Short run moulds
- Simple or complex geometrics
- Aluminum or hard tool steel
Mould Design & Tooling
A successful part starts with a well-designed mould. This complex and precise process determines part manufacture ability and life cycle costs and takes into account the key components of mould design while adhering to a part’s unique specifications.
Considered one of our Five Keys to Success, proper mould design and mould building will help reduce cost, increase quality and optimize performance. We use the latest CAD technology and software to create a robust mould design that’s built to SPI standards, as well as mouldflow analysis to evaluate all mould designs and parts prior to development.
As part of the mould trial and qualification process, all part dimensions are reviewed for accuracy. Scientific injection moulding is then used to establish consistent and repeatable moulding process parameters, which ensures quality parts are produced. All part dimensions are then reviewed for accuracy.
When you require an advanced moulding solution to increase production throughput while controlling production costs, look to us for the following:
- Stack moulds
- Gas-assist moulds
- Unscrewing cores
- High cavitation moulds
- Conformal cooling
As a solutions-oriented mould builder, our dynamic tooling and mould-building programs can benefit your next project. Connect with us today to learn how we can innovate together and drive plastic performance forward.
MOULD TRIALS AND QUALIFICATION
All new plastic injection moulds undergo mould trial and qualification to ensure all part dimensions are correct and the mould functions properly. As part of the mould trial and qualification, PMI utilizes scientific injection molding to establish consistent, repeatable plastic injection moulding process parameters to control the moulding process and ensure that consistent quality parts are produced at a lower overall cost.
MOULD TRANSFER PROGRAMS
PMI has successfully managed numerous mould transfer programs – from one mould to many moulds – inspecting and evaluating the moulds and getting them up and running quickly and cost effectively. Our program managers oversee the entire process and keep customers informed each step of the way.
MOULD MAINTENANCE PROGRAMS
Plastic injection moulds are an important asset and regular maintenance is important for longevity of the mould and quality of the parts it produces. PMI mould maintenance programs are customized on the basis of mould design, complexity and material but typically include daily preventative maintenance, mould inspection and minor and more major mould maintenance – all meeting or exceeding SPI standards.